EventsEvery year, Kume Island is host to many fun events. We'll be highlighting upcoming events, and report on current ones. Simply click a link below to find out more about an event.
- Leisure Walk (1/19-20/2013) Take a leisurely stroll along one of many courses with people from around Japan!
- Cherry Blossom Festival (1/25-26/2013) The yearly two-day festival celebrating the blooming Sakura Trees on Kumejima.
- SugarRide Cycling Event (3/16-17/2013)
- Sea Turtle Encounter (4/28-5/6 2013) Kumejima Fireflies come out to play between late April to May. Stop by the Firefly Pavilion to learn more.
- Kumejima Yacht Race (5/25/2013)
- Ha-ri- (Dragon Boat) Races (6/12/2013) The Dragon Boat races take place at three different ports each year. Join the fun as different groups compete in this traditional race.
- Maja Sumo Competition (6/23/2013) The Maja Area is home to the first of the yearly sumo competitions. It take place before the Tenko Shrine.
- Gima Sumo Competition (8/1/2013) Gima Sumo takes place in the Gima Area near the Kumeshima Elementary School, and includes a unique historic ceremony.
- Umachii Festival (8/1/2013) The traditional Kume Island Harvest Festival takes place on the 25th day of the 6th month of the lunar calendar. Don't miss this look at the culture and traditions dating from the Ryukyu Kingdom
- Janadou Sumo Competition (8/2/2013)
- Kumejima Festival (8/3-4/2013) The largest event on Kumejima is the two-day Kumejima Matsuri in August. Live events, food, fun, and more.
- Nishime Sumo Competition 8/4/2013 tentative) The Nishime Sumo competition is followed by traditional Eisa playing and other festivities.
- Obon Eisa (8/19-21/2013) -At Gima, Higa, Janado, Magari, Kadekaru, and Maja Neighborhoods
- Nakachi Sumo Competition (9/9/2013)
- Kumejima Marathon (10/27/2013) The Kumejima Marathon offers several scenic routes for runners of all ages. This popular run is a great way to see Kumejima.
- Kumejima Town Sports Day Most areas in Japan host sports days (undokai) to stay fit and have a little friendly competition. Kumejima has a town sports day in addition to elementary and junior high sports days
- Young Festival
- Kuruma Shrimp Festival
*Dates and times subject to change without notice.