Things We Make
Every year the Kume Island Board of Education hosts an arts and crafts day at the Gushikawa Community Center in the Uezu Area. Starting in the morning, adults and children can sign up for a large number of activities ranging from traditional toys to painting and beyond. While some activities need prior commitment due to the necessity to prepare ingredients, most are free and open for participation.
- Sandal Carving - Bring your own plastic sandals and use tools to turn them into art.
- Gel Candles - Use sand and seashells to create interesting candles (requires registration and fee).
- Balloon Art - Create balloon animals and more.
- Beading - Necklaces, anklets, and more made with beads
- Painting - Paint pre-cut boards with interesting characters and shapes.
- Traditional Toys - Learn traditional culture from the hands of Kume Island residents. Many simple toys can be created from helicopters to cargo carriers, all from natural products found around the island.
Find out more about this unique event on MoreThingsJapanese.com
comments powered by Disqus